At tonight’s 84th annual Academy Awards ceremony, the focus was not only on the nominees, but even more so on their attire. As has become customary, the red carpet, which now starts more than three hours prior to the ceremony, has a show of its own. All the actors, actresses, directors, producers, and spouces parade by photographers and news anchors eager to deemed best dressed of the evening.
As always, everyone has an opinion about who was best dressed. @e_fashionpolice tweeted “Our #BestDressed picks so far: Rooney Mara, J. Lo, and Angelina Jolie! #ERedCarpet http://t.co/CWmnXgKg #Oscars,” @annadellorusso agreed and said “#BESTDRESSED at the Oscar: Rooney Mara in Givenchy Couture and Gwyneth Paltrow in Tom Ford,” and @marieclaire stated “We agree with @NinaGarcia‘s favorites so far: Rooney Mara, Octavia Spencer and Jessica Chastain. #bestdressed #oscars.” Well, we at Topsy have a top-ten best dressed list too, but ours is strictly based on numbers. We identified the top ten actresses who received the most tweets for their name plus the hashtag bestdressed during red carpet hours (2:00 p.m. PST – 5:30 p.m. PST). These numbers are from a sub-sample of Twitter.
1. Jennifer Lopez; 577 tweets: J-lo got everyone’s attention in a very revealing silver dress by Zuhair Murad.
2. Emma Stone; 326 tweets: Emma Stone has become a staple on the best dressed list and wore a red gown by Giambattista Valli Haute Couture.
3. Angelina Jolie; 288 tweets: Always popular and never ceasing to amaze us Angelina Jolie wor a beautiful black gown from Versace. Apparently this dress was so popular, it had it it’s own Twitter account by the end of the night!
4. Rooney Mara; 282 tweets: Mara, who has regularly worn black throughout this awards season, shocked us all when she showed up in a structured, white Givenchy gown.
5. Jessica Chastain; 278 tweets: Nominated for best supporting actress for The Help, Chastain was dazzling in Alexander McQueen, not to mention $2,000,000 worth of jewelry.
6. Gwyneth Paltrow; 226 tweets: Previous Oscar award winner, Gwyneth Paltrow, stunned the crowd in a beautiful white Tom Ford one-shoulder gown with a floor length cape.
7. Penelope Cruz; 177 tweets: Cruz caught everyone’s attention in an off-the-shoulder princess-esque gown from Georgio Armani.
8. Octavia Spencer; 121 tweets: Octavia Spencer, tonight’s star of the show after winning best supporting actress for The Help, stuck with her favorite designer Tadashi Shoji in a flattering, silver, sparkling gown.
9. Michelle Williams; 109 tweets: Williams is not new to the red carpet, let alone the Oscars, and she proved it with a flattering, eye-catching coral-colored strapless gown from Louis Vuitton.
10. Viola Davis; 94 tweets: Viola Davis, nominated for Best Actress for The Help was unanimously deemed best dressed in a green gown.
Below are images of the top three gowns. You can find more images of these dresses and other red-carpet winners on Topsy.com.